This cartoon was put up on the blog of one of the guys at CEPAD and it says ´I should not fuck my country any more...atte: Rubén (the prefect of Santa Cruz), Evo, Branco (another player here in Santa Cruz who is leading the strike), etc.Yesterday was declared a full strike and everything in the town was shut down, not a shop was open and the highway was closed all day. I went down to see the blockade, which was two tractors across the highway (which granted, is a two lane paved road). There were some signs demanding the IDH and a ton of people drinking. A psychologist who works for the mayor´s office started talking to me and said how these Strikes that occur are political issues for people in power, but that for people in town they are an opportunity for people to come together and shoot the shit. Aude, who was with me, asked why they couldn´t just have a party, and she has a point. In the distance all I could see was trucks parked on the side of the road waiting for the blockade to be lifted to get to their destination. And imagine, the blockade in Buena Vista is just one, every town that is sympathetic to Rubén and autonomy has one too. In the evening some restaurants and stores opened and it was decided that the strike would continue indefinitely, but only the highways. As such, today stores were open but the the highway once again closed from 12am to 12am. Tonight we´ll find out how much longer it is going to last. Some people say it´ll be over tomorrow, and are making plans, but I have heard that we can expect at least til Friday to not have open highways.
This does not mean that one cannot get around. Motorcycles, which are used like taxis here, are making TONS of money getting people around blockades (to go to Portachuelo, 30km from Buena Vista costs 5 bolivianos normally in a cab, mototaxis are charging 50 bs). Clearly some people are benefitting from the strike. What is really sad is that while the politicians on both sides argue and are getting rich themselves, the economy of Bolivia is getting completely screwed. Yesterday I wrote emails asking coffee importers if they would be interested in the coffee associations that I met with and one of the responses that I got was from a trader who said his company used to import 75% of the Bolivian coffee to the U.S. and no longer does so due to the political situation. It is pretty depressing to sit here and not be able to do much besides translate things to English and hang out in the office in my second to last week at work, but such is life...
2 comments:
I too had to realize I wouldn't change the world during the course of my 10-week internship. Granted, I think you had more of a chance, and I think you've made more of a difference than you realize. Even just TALKING to people, and telling them you want to help can make a HUGE difference - people start to realize that there is help out there for their businesses, and they begin to actively search it out. While you may not be around to see the avalanche, you're definitely getting the snowball rolling. (Suddenly a snow-related simile seems pretty silly given we're talking about Bolivia...) And in regards to protests - Latin American's LOVE protests. Yes, they could just have a party, but why not have a party AND protest against the government? What could be better? Granted, it screws up life for most everyone else, but you know that chant: Show me what democracy's made of...
Son granitos de arena Athalia los que crean montañas.
Besos.
Post a Comment