Tuesday was also the day that we presented the results of our PACA, a community analysis tool that we did with our host families. Each training group gathered their families together in order to draw community maps (giving us insight into what places were important for the residents of the community), create daily and seasonal calendars (in order for us to determine what would be good times to hold meetings with community groups). We did our community mapping the week before FBT and the results were a little disappointing. Only two of our mom’s were able/willing to participate, and they started drawing their houses and the store, but quickly got embarrassed by how their drawings looked and stopped entirely. The children (we did another map with kids) just started drawing all of the games that were in the central plaza for Independence Day and forgot entirely about the rest of town. In contrast with our maps, which were pretty empty, other towns had really detailed maps, though I was told that none of them were actually physically accurate. This activity was just practice for our future site placements as activities to do with our community groups, so I am curious to see how it will work in the future, hopefully the women will be less embarrassed about their artwork.
Women's Map of Santa Catarina
I also did a daily calendar with Mamatina on my own. Her daily calendar is significantly different than those of the other mothers in our group since she has a little store and does not do any farming and her children are grown. A good amount of her day is dedicated to her income sources – weaving and sewing. Mamatina is a really good seamstress and she told me the other day about how she went to Guatemala City when she was a girl (maybe fourteen years old) to learn how to sew in a woman’s house. She lived there for two years on her own, learning how to sew and eating very little food since the woman she lived with was poor. Mamatina’s life experiences sound really difficult and the fact that she has achieved financial stability and a nice house is definitely a reflection of her hard work and business acumen, nothing was given to her.
On Thursday we went back to Peace Corps for the second of three visits this week in order to listen to presentations by two more organizations that work with women’s issues here in Guatemala. CODEFEM presented first and was really impressive. They are a private, feminist, non-religious organization that has been lobbying for women’s rights for years and they have been fighting to ensure that every municipality has an OMM (Oficina Municipal de la Mujer – Municipal Women’s Office). Eight years ago the number of municipalities with OMMs were in single-digits, while today there are over 240 municipalities (out of 333 total I think) with OMMs. Every municipality should ideally have an OMM, however in the Municipal Code it was not made clear whether the municipality needed to have one and where it would fit in (that is, its position within the municipality organizational chart and what personnel it should have). CODEFEM along with other feminist organizations and government groups are working to revise the Municipal Code to make it mandatory for every municipality to have an OMM and to define what the OMM should be doing. The lady who came and talked to us was really passionate and inspirational, and she told us that when we get to our sites and we find out what our OMM needs, we could get in touch with CODEFEM to see if they could come and give trainings or some sort of assistance to our offices. The next speaker we had was a representative of CONAPREVI, the government ministry that deals with domestic violence and violence against women. Recently, in 2008 I think, Guatemala passed a law that mandated harsh punishments for violence against women and femicides. The laws were put in place to address the sad reality that there is a high rate of violence perpetrated against women solely because they are women. The laws are meant to ensure that any perpetrator of violence against women has to serve a prison sentence that cannot be plea-bargained away or paid off. While the laws look good on the books, CONAPREVI has had a hard time convincing judges to enforce them, and the statistics on violence against women, while not accurate are also really depressing. One man I know who will not be perpetrating any type of violence towards women is my Guatemalan love who is a mere few days away from turning six-months old. Kenny has gotten one tooth and a lot grabbier since our first meeting (my earrings and glasses were easy targets), but he remains the chillest baby I have seen, he does not fuss and is happy to be carried around by all family members, including the colocha.
On Saturday I went on a walk in the morning, I tried to run and my stomach said NO, and then went to Antigua to meet with Nelly, the head of Namaste-Direct here in Guatemala. Namaste-Direct is a microfinance institution that has been giving loans to groups of women through intermediary NGOs (like CARE). In January 2008, Namaste-Direct opened up an office in Antigua in order to give loans directly, though they still work with intermediary NGOs to find their groups of women. Namaste-Direct currently works with around 350 women in women’s groups in four departments (Chimaltenango, El Quiche, Sacatepéquez…and one more). They have a 24-month period where they give loans (loan cycles are on average 6-months long, so the ideal is to have women go through four loan cycles) and along with receiving money the women receive training and one-on-one business mentorship by local business-people (the mentors have to be Guatemalan and speak the local dialect among other qualifications). I was put in touch with Nelly, the head of the Guatemala office, through IRPS connections (thanks Preston!) and she has come up with a few projects that she would like me to do for her. The one project that really appealed to me was to help her improve the monitoring and evaluation tools that N-D is currently using. Every loan cycle there are a lot of diagnostic tools used to attempt to assess how the women are faring and whether the program is really helping them salir adelante. Nelly thinks that the monitoring program could use some improvements, but she does not have the time to figure out how to improve it since the day-to-day operations take up all her time. Revising the monitoring and evaluation strategy will be a long-term project, and since I will be here for two years, it would be a good match. I was very excited about the possibility with actually using some of my IRPS ‘toolkit’, but until I find out my site (THURSDAY!!!) and the work that I need to do at my site, I cannot commit to anything. I got some materials and will wait until I am in site a few months to figure out what I can commit to, but I am hopeful that I will be able to work with N-D.
1 comment:
LOVE the pillow case! With a little more practice, I'm sure you will make a wonderful esposa, especially once you perfect your tortilla-making skills! Haha, I'm with you though - I'd much rather have a man buy me linens! I guess they probably don't register for wedding gifts in Guate.
I guess they must have gotten a new Ambassador since I was there - I think his name was Duram (also appointed - no one seems to WANT to go to Guate). You should definitely take advantage of whatever embassy-sponsored events are happening, especially around US holidays --> FOOD!
Super cool to hear about all the organizations and NGOs you've been meeting with (Feinberg would be so proud). Can't wait to hear where your site will be! When can you have visitors? I totally want to come visit during las posadas - I hear no one works during the whole months of December!
Te echo de menos,
Vera
Post a Comment